Sunday, June 19, 2011

Change of Direction

My next project was to work on a scanning option using the David software starter kit. I have made some progress on it but have been diverted in another direction.

I received my new Makerbot (#2662) and the two extra stepper motors. I started looking into different versions of the Wade Extruder and the associated electronics. I decided to go with this version even though the designer has updated it to have a hinged bearing. I like the more solid version with the four screws holding the bearing in place with springs.

For the electronics I looked at the Pololu website and decided to pick up some of these A4983 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier. I also found this drawing here.


From it I was able to layout a circuit board I think will work. I am waiting for the drivers to arrive but here is a drawing of the board. I made it so it fits on a single sided 3x5 board and produces 4 copies. This picture is not actual size but it fits nicely on a 4x6 sheet of photo paper and is easy to transfer and etch. I may put the process of doing this in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment